Tuesday, April 10, 2012


The voice I decided to analyze for this post was none other than the great Christopher Walken. This is an actor we have all been exposed to at some point in our lives. If you have heard him for yourself, then you certainly have heard someone doing an impression of his distinct voice. In fact, that is the best way to describe the voice of Christopher Walken. Distinct. To my knowledge there are no other voices that can match that of his.
Mr. Walken has what I would describe as a deliberate voice. While everything that comes from his mouth is natural he does seem to speak in a deliberate fashion in order to make know his uniqueness. At first he comes off as rather monotonous without much variation in his pitch and rate. When he speaks in acting roles he does make sure to vary his pitch quite frequently to portray the emotions his characters are supposed to express.
He has very good articulation and keeps you enthralled in his speech with the pronunciation of his words. Each bite of speech is clear and audible and there is rarely a question as to what exactly he said. This clarity in articulation gives the receiver complete understanding of what Christopher Walken says to them.                     
I would even go as far as to say he has developed his own accent. I know for sure that I cannot place his speech in any other type of accent that I have heard before. There is some form of raspiness in his voice, but its subtlety makes it liquid against his overall tone. There is no nasality and he only sounds breathy if his role requires it.
He will at times take pauses in speech similar to that of William Shatner, but this is what actually makes his voice unique. In fact it is this very fact that causes many people to impersonate Mr. Walken. These pauses are typically filled with a slight stutter of “uhhh” or “mmm” which just simply indicates that he is thinking of what to say next.
Christopher Walken has one of the most distinct voices in Hollywood. It has given him many influential roles and has been course for much laughter on his behalf. He is someone who will continue to captivate us with his uniqueness for a long time to come.

1 comment:

  1. Nick -- nice work. The post is well-structured post covers the bases. I was hoping you'd analyze a specific recording, but this does indeed capture Walken.

    ReplyDelete